WIFI comes under wireless network protocol based on the IEEE 802.11 standard , commonly used for LAN( local area networking). The main purpose of wifi is for internet access , allowing nearly digital devices to exchange of data by radio wave . Wi-Fi uses multiple part of the IEEE 802 protocol. It is designed for interwork seamlessly with its wired sibling Ethernet . The commonly uses radio bands for wifi are 2.4 gigahertz (120 mm) ultra high frequency between(300 megahertz to 3 gigahertz) and 5 gigahertz (60 mm)super high frequency between (3 to 30 gigahertz), these radio bands are subdivided into multiple channels. Channels are shared between network but only one transmitter can locally transmit on a channel at any moment in time.
FRAME FORMAT OF IEEE 802.11:
|Generation/IEEE Standard||Maximum Linkrate||Adopted||Frequency|
|Wi‑Fi 6E (802.11ax)||600 to 9608 Mbit/s||2020||6 GHz|
|Wi‑Fi 6 (802.11ax)||600 to 9608 Mbit/s||2019||2.4/5 GHz|
|Wi‑Fi 5 (802.11ac)||433 to 6933 Mbit/s||2014||5 GHz|
|Wi‑Fi 4 (802.11n)||72 to 600 Mbit/s||2008||2.4/5 GHz|
|(Wi-Fi 3)* 802.11g||6 to 54 Mbit/s||2003||2.4 GHz|
|(Wi-Fi 2)* 802.11a||6 to 54 Mbit/s||1999||5 GHz|
|(Wi-Fi 1)* 802.11b||1 to 11 M bit/s||1999||2.4GHz|
|(Wi-Fi 0)* 802.11||1 to 2 Mbit/s||1997||2.4GHZ|
Wi-Fi stations were communication by sending each other data packets, this is done by modulation and demodulation of carrier wave. The 802.11 (Wi-Fi) standard provides several distinct radio frequency ranges for use in Wi-Fi communications. The ranges are 900 MHz, 2.4 GHz, 3.6 GHz, 4.9 GHz, 5 GHz, 5.9 GHz and 60 GHz bands. The ranges are divided into a multitude of channels. IEEE 802 LAN’s are programed with a globally distinctive 48-bit MAC address, that every Wi-Fi station contains a distinctive address.
Because of being quite common of Wi-Fi and ever decreasing price of the hardware required to support it, several manufactures currently build Wi-Fi interface straight of Pc motherboards.
ADVANTAGES OF WIFI:
- The previous LAN connection which uses wires and cables are comparatively higher than the cost of wifi networks.
- The installation of these wireless networks are quite simple and users do not require any professional guidance.
- The networks are build in the form of access point therefore adding and removing any user is quite simple
- Wireless network helps the mobile devices, laptop , notepads, and computers with WLAN to connect the network easily
- Wireless is very affordable s the cost is cheaper .