The Department of Mechatronics Engineering organized a webinar on “Micro-Electromechanical System & Nano- Electromechanical System”.The session was handled by Dr.G. Velmathi, (Ph.D) Prof in VIT as Chief Guest.
List of happenings in the event:
● The discussion began with the introduction of the Chief Guest, who is working and has immense experience in the field of MEMS & NEMS, IoT, Automation, etc.
● Questions related to this topic were posted by the participants in chat and FB live and also some of the questions that were collected from other participants via google form were also answered by the chief guest.
● The questions related to Robotics, Industrial Automation, etc. were also discussed as a part of the session.
NEMS (Nano Electro Mechanical System):
NEMS, or Nano Electro-Mechanical Systems are devices in which the physical motion of a Nano-meter scale structure is controlled by an electronic circuit or vice versa. NEMS make particularly sensitive sensors, of chemicals and acceleration, for example. NEMS also offers the possibility of observing quantum effects in systems much larger than few-atom ensembles.
Application of NEMS :
- Detection of Single cell
- Analysis of DNA
- Explanation of IBM’s mass storage Nano chip
- IC fabrication (Silicon Wafer layer Production )
Process of Making INTEL’s IC:
Polycrystalline silicon, or multicrystalline silicon, also called polysilicon or poly-Si, is a high purity, polycrystalline form of silicon, used as raw material and its Nugget form purified from the sand.
MEMS (Micro Electro Mechanical System):
MEMS are inherently small, thus offering attractive characteristics such as reduced size, weight, and power dissipation and improved speed and precision compared to their macroscopic counterparts. Microfabrication provides a powerful tool for batch processing and miniaturizing electromechanical devices and systems to a dimensional scale that is not accessible by conventional machining techniques.
- Automotive Industry
- Defense Systems
- National Security
- Information technology
- Environmental monitoring
Material Used For MEMS:
- Structural Material – Single-crystal, Polycrystalline silicon, Electrodeposited titanium, nickel, Gold, Silicon carbide, silicon dioxide, Silicon, Germanium.
- Sacrificial Layer – Germanium, SiO2.
- Shape memory Actuator – Nickel titanium. Piezoelectric actuator and sensor – Lead Zirconium titanium (PST).
MICRO – Machining:
Micromachining is the basic technology for fabrication of micro components of size in the range of 1 to 500 micrometers.
BioMEMS sensors and systems:
• Measure pressure gradients across heart valves accurately to help assess valve disease.
• Diagnose and monitor congestive heart failure.
• Measure cardiac output and compliance
• Monitor intracranial pressures in hydrocephalus patients
• Understand disease progression and improve patient care
• Single fiber optical scanner for endoscopies
• Measure drug delivery rate for infusion systems
● Airbag deployment
● Smart sensors for collision avoidance and skid detection
● Active suspension
● Automobile navigation
● Antitheft system Headlight leveling and positioning
● Rollover detectors
- Optical Communication Networks
- Optical switch
- Display screens on cell phones and PDAs
- Optical Spectrometers
- Agil Optics
- Deformable Mirror
- Atomic Force Microscopes
The event was conducted through the Zoom webinar from 05.00 PM– 6.30 PM on 19/10/2020. This session was broadcasted on Facebook live simultaneously too. From this event, many students got to know about the importance of MEMS and NEMS and its application in various fields. More than 150 participants from various colleges attend this webinar. The E-certificates were issued to all the participants.
Hareesh S Chandran
Content Creation : Mr.Pradeep Manoharan (2nd Year MCE)MEMS & NEMS Webinar Recorded Video